Monday, June 27, 2011

Taking My Life Back

Sorry, I have been away for awhile. Life got a little hectic. I had two huge orders come through at work, so I was working weekends to get them out in time. And then I ended up getting a bad cold, which has in turn now developed into a sinus infection. The real kicker is our employer gets insurance this Friday, yeah, I got sick one week prior :( Oh, well. Luckily, the meds were the $4 generics. But still the doctor visit costed me $45 than it would have with a co-pay.

Well, this whole ordeal has made me realize that I want to be healthier. I hate missing out on things. I have been toying with this idea for sometime, but Saturday morning, I decided I am doing it this time.

My main vice is Mountain Dew soda. I can easily drink 4-5 cans in an 8 hour stretch at work or a 2-liter a day on the weekends. Yeah, it is that bad. I can even down a 20oz bottle right before bed and I won't even be fazed. J and I have tried to give up soda many different times, but we always fail. I think because we try to go cold turkey. I have decided that I can have a soda, just not Mountain Dew and it has to be diet. I know diet still isn't exactly good for me, but it is a start and I have to start somewhere. Saturday, I finished off the 20oz of Mountain Dew I purchased on my way to work, and then drank water the rest of the day. Sunday, I nursed one 20oz of Sprite Zero all day. Today, I had one 20oz of Sprite at work, and water the rest. Tonight, I had 8oz of Diet Cherry Dr Pepper and water the rest. This is a huge accomplishment for me.

J is doing the C25K running program, and is currently on week 4. I have never been a runner, and am terribly out of shape. So, I have decided to ease myself into it. I walk J's running route, 3 miles. Saturday, we did it once. Sunday, we did it once, and I immediately wanted to go back out, I was pumped. We waited until about sunset then did it again. Today, I woke up and wanted to go walk, but I am by no means a morning person. So, all day, all I could think about was taking a walk tonight. As soon as we got home from work, we walked the 3 mile route. Then tonight, I walked to my mom's house (only a couple blocks), but I jogged home. I good indicator of how out of shape I am, the block or so jog winded me.

J and I both decided that we needed goals to push ourselves. So, we decided that we will run the Zombie Bash 5k in October. Last year we walked it in just under an hour, yeah, not so great. But we set a goal, and I want to achieve it. :)

I have two great ladies that are my inspirations, let's call them the Xtreme Xtine's :) Both have awesomely inspiring stories with their struggles and achievements. First, is a co-worker and friend from my church, DubyaWife and second, is a fantastic girl I went to high school with ChristineStreets.com. I love reading both of their inspirational stories of acceptance and taking back their lives. :)

So, here is to a new me. I want you all to keep me accountable. I want to be a good example to my children and to my family. I had to give up way to many things in life for being overweight and out of shape. I was a ballerina (I was, I could dance on pointe) and played soccer. I dropped out of dance, because I realized that there is no such thing as a fat ballerina, and my junior year in high school I was cut from the soccer team, because I was so out of shape and slow. This devastated me, soccer was my life. But, it didn't devastate me enough to make a change.

I have decided now to make this change. And the rest of my life starts now (and I could quote many Three Days Grace songs here :P)


No comments: